I arranged a meeting with my local representative to discuss the Government’s ISP censorship proposal. It was a fairly good meeting, although Mr McMullan was fairly non-committal. He did say that he has always been against censorship and that he would make up his mind in due course.
I left him with this information pack (TeX source). There isn’t much new information here, but hopefully it’s presented in a way that is easy to understand.
Mr McMullan yesterday announced he intends to retire at the next election. Hopefully this makes him a little braver to speak up in his party. The only other point of note is that Mr McMullan said that he had far fewer people approach him for meetings on this than he expected. He didn’t say how many from each side, but did say that those who did see him had a considered opinion.
Today I am 10,000 days old. Yay!
What’s with the flag waving this year? In previous years, I don’t recall people flying Australian flags from their cars. The last two days, I have seen several on the roads.
This kind of patriotism makes me nervous. It is dangerous, and opens the door to bigotry and intolerance.
My first major disappointment in the new Labor government. This argument shouldn’t be about whether homosexual marriage is right or wrong, it’s about whether citizens of the ACT have the right to govern themselves. As a territory, we already do not have the full set of rights the states have. If we do not have the right to govern ourselves, then we should return to being directly governed by the Federal government.
I unexpectedly got tagged by Currawong. I don’t think there’s much point in these memes, but I’m happy to give it a try. Here’s the rules:
- Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
- People who are tagged need to write a post on their own blog (about their eight things) and post these rules.
- At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
Well, what can I say.
- I greatly enjoyed building the technical framework to host a blog.
- While I have strong opinions and a great desire to share them through this web log, I have almost a fear of posting them. (Hence the feebleness of this site, and the length of time it took to post this).
- I find it much easier to communicate with text then I do with speech, especially in social situations.
- I have been learning foil for more than 10 years.
- I collect comic books. My favourite artists are Frank Cho and Budd Root.
- I think the likelihood of any deities existing to be extremely low.
- I love reading books and watching documentaries on science history.
- I lived in Poland for three years growing up.
Now, the meme dies. The people I know I’d be comfortable inflicting with this don’t have web logs.